This work is included in the Provenance Research Project
, which investigates the ownership history of works in MoMA's collection.
June - September 1889, Vincent van Gogh, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.
September 1889 - January 1891, Theo van Gogh (1857-1891), Paris, acquired from his brother Vincent van Gogh.
January 1891 - December 1900, Johanna (Jo) van Gogh-Bonger, Amsterdam, in trust for her son, Vincent Willem van Gogh, Amsterdam, inherited from Theo van Gogh.
December 1900 - February 1901, Julien Leclercq, Paris, purchased through Jo van Gogh-Bonger.
February 1901 - before July 1905, Claude-Emile Schuffenecker, Paris, acquired by exchange from Julien Leclercq.
By July 1905 - March 1906, Jo van Gogh-Bonger, Amsterdam, reacquired from Claude-Emile Schuffenecker.
[Oldenzeel Gallery, Rotterdam]
1906 - 1938, Georgette P. van Stolk (1867-1963), Rotterdam, purchased from/through Oldenzeel Gallery.
1938 - 1941, Paul Rosenberg Gallery, New York, purchased from Georgette P. van Stolk through Jacob-Baart de la Faille.
1941, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, acquired by exchange from Paul Rosenberg Gallery.
Provenance research is a work in progress, and is frequently updated with new information. If you have any questions or information to provide about the listed works, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
Provenance Research Project
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019