This work is included in the Provenance Research Project
, which investigates the ownership history of works in MoMA's collection.
On consignment from the artist to Galerie Alfred Flechtheim, Berlin, 1929 ; on loan to The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1930 ; sold through J. B. Neumann, New York to Franz H. Hirschland (1880-1973), Harrison, NY, by 1934 ; by inheritance to Susan Ann Hirschland (Suzy Prudden) and Joan Ellen Hirschland Meijer, 1973; Gift to The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1975 (Sidney and Harriet Janis Collection Fund and gift of Suzy Prudden and Joan H. Meijer in memory of F. H. Hirschland).
 Paul-Klee-Stiftung, Kunstmuseum Bern, eds. Paul Klee: catalogue raisonné. Bern: Benteli and New York: Thames and Hudson, vol. 5 (2001), no. 4614. Included in the exhibition Paul Klee, Galerie Flechtheim, Berlin, October 20-November 15, 1929 (no. 94).
 Included in the exhibition Paul Klee, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, March 13-April 2, 1930 (no. 39). The catalogue notes on p. 13: "Unless otherwise indicated the paintings belong to the artist and are exhibited by arrangement with his representatives [Galerie Alfred Flechtheim, Berlin and J.B. Neumann, New York]."
 Included in the exhibition Modern Works of Art: 5th Anniversary Exhibition, November 19, 1934-January 20, 1935 (no. 94). Lender: Franz H. Hirschland.
Provenance research is a work in progress, and is frequently updated with new information. If you have any questions or information to provide about the listed works, please email email@example.com or write to:
Provenance Research Project
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019