Tschichold's first important posters were for films shown in the Munich Phoebus-Palast, which, when it opened in 1926, was the largest cinema in Germany, seating 2,174 people. In the poster, photographs evoke a sense of the film's unfolding narrative and the mechanics of cinematic projection. Tschichold's dynamic composition imaginatively carries the train forward, bursting through a flat red circle toward the audience. Poster exhibitions and film festivals proliferated between the wars and were important in disseminating The New Typography. This poster was exhibited in the 1927 Internationale Schau zeitgenössischer Reklame (International exhibition of contemporary publicity) in Mannheim, Germany.
Gallery label from The New Typography, December 23, 2009–July 26, 2010.