A small liberal arts college founded in 1933 by John Rice on a farm in Asheville, North Carolina, and continued under changing leadership until 1957. Courses in painting, weaving, sculpture, pottery, poetry, music, and dance placed the arts at the center of the school’s curriculum. Its program fostered exchange and dialogue between faculty, many of them refugees from World War II Europe, and a younger generation of American artists.