its genesis in the Bateau-Lavoir until its acquisition
by MoMA in 1939, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon remained
in Paris, traveling with Picasso as he moved to six
successive studios between 1907 and 1924, until its
acquisition in 1924 by Jacques Doucet, a Parisian couturier.
The painting was exhibited only once during this time,
at the Salon d'Antin in 1916. Early photographs
of the work in Picasso's studio show the painting
stretched and leaning against a wall shrouded by cloth.
What we know about the treatment history of Les
Demoiselles d'Avignon is derived from
archival research and examination of historical photographs
of the painting, combined with evidence from the actual