JUNIOR ASSOCIATES FAQ
The Junior Associates: Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the benefits of JA membership?
- How do I join The Junior Associates?
- Can I bring a guest to events?
- How does Dual membership work?
- What is the tax deductibility of my membership dues?
- What if I’m already a MoMA member?
- What’s the difference between an affiliate Museum group, such as The Junior Associates, and a membership level?
- Who are the members of The Junior Associates?
- Is there a dress code?
- How often do events take place?
- What’s the typical event like?
- How many people usually attend an event?
- How many JAs are there?
- What’s the average age of a JA?
- When does my membership commence?
- Do the events cost extra?
What are the benefits of JA membership?
As a benefit of membership ($675 Individual, $1,080 Dual), JAs receive:
- Complimentary access to approximately 35 exclusive JA events each year, including curatorial walk-throughs, artist studio visits, private collection visits, and gallery visits
- Invitations to two ticketed day trips
- Invitations for two to two–three exhibition opening receptions
- Discounted tickets to fundraisers, parties, and events such as MoMA’s Armory Party and Party in the Garden, as well as MoMA PS1’s Warm Up
- Complimentary VIP passes to select contemporary art fairs
How do I join The Junior Associates?
To join the group, select a MoMA membership level, login/create an account, and then select your JA level. You can also join by calling (212) 333-1240. JA dues are $675 for an individual and $1,080 for a couple. Additionally, JAs are required to purchase a base MoMA membership. Individual JAs must have a base Individual MoMA membership ($85) or higher, and Dual JAs must have a base Dual MoMA membership ($140) or higher.
Can I bring a guest to events?
In general, Junior Associates events are for JA members only, and we cannot accommodate guests. However, if you are a Dual JA, we can accommodate your guest at events as long as you RSVP for both you and your guest and receive confirmations for both registrants.
How does Dual membership work?
This membership gives you the same benefits as an Individual JA membership, times two! You can become Dual JAs for the pro-rated amount $1,220, which includes a required minimum Dual Museum membership of $140. Dual memberships can be for two people who share the same mailing address or for an individual who would like to be able to bring a guest to JA events.
What is the tax deductibility of my membership dues?
For an Individual JA membership of $760, the tax-deductible amount is $394. For a Dual JA membership of $1,220, it is $608.
What if I’m already a MoMA member?
Then let us know, and you will only have to pay Junior Associates dues; $675 for Individual and $1,080 for Dual.
What’s the difference between an affiliate Museum group, such as The Junior Associates, and a membership level?
A membership level is a category of giving to MoMA rather than a cohesive group. Museum affiliates, on the other hand, are auxiliary groups that support and are supported by the Museum and participate collectively in a schedule of group-exclusive events. To be a member of an affiliate group, you must be a member of the Museum. Every affiliate group has different membership requirements, but please know that as a Junior Associate, you must join at least as an Individual or Dual member, depending on your Junior Associate category. One common misconception is that because Individual JA dues are $675, then a Junior Associate membership is similar to the Supporting Museum membership category ($600); however, while JAs receive many of the same benefits, their category of membership is technically “Individual,” unless a JA chooses to join at a higher level.
Who are the members of The Junior Associates?
Our members come from a variety of professions, backgrounds, and experiences. We have bankers, lawyers, art world professionals, graduate students, and artists, just to name a few, ranging in age from 21 to 40. Some are avid collectors while others are learning about modern contemporary art for the first time.
Is there a dress code?
No. However, many members come to events from work and wear business or business-casual attire.
How often do events take place?
We generally host about one event per week, typically on a weeknight, and plan the occasional Saturday event, tour, or day trip. Check out our upcoming and past events to learn more!
What’s the typical event like?
A typical event will start at 6:30 p.m. with arrivals. Refreshments are usually provided. The program will begin at 7:00 p.m., last an hour, and end with Q&A.
How many people usually attend an event?
It depends on the type of event, but it can range from 30 to 100. The average event has an attendance of 50 members.
How many JAs are there?
The number changes daily. We currently have several hundred members.
What’s the average age of a JA?
Our members range in age from 21 to 40, and the average age is 30.
When does my membership commence?
Your membership begins the day you sign up and lasts one year.
Do the events cost extra?
In general, no. Events that may cost extra are day trips, fundraisers and parties, and the occasional special program.