The Goodwin Building and the Sculpture Garden
In 1939, the Museum completed construction in its first permanent home, the flagship modernist building that today anchors the campus on 53rd Street. The International Style building was designed by architects Philip L. Goodwin (who was also a trustee of the Museum) and Edward Durell Stone. The Museum’s first sculpture garden was much more improvisational, as founding director Alfred H. Barr Jr. and curator of Architecture John McAndrew only had a couple of weeks to develop a design. Fortified by sandwiches and beer, they created this simple graveled space punctuated by freestanding screens.