Front / Recto
- Title Lines of Modern Industry: Cooling Tower (Linien der modernen Industrie: Kühlturmanlage)
- Negative Date 1920–29
- Print Date 1920–32
- Medium Gelatin silver print
- Dimensions Image 3 3/8 × 4 1/2" (8.5 × 11.5 cm)Sheet 3 7/16 × 4 11/16" (8.8 × 11.9 cm)
- Place Taken Berlin
- Credit Line Thomas Walther Collection. Gift of Albert Renger-Patzsch, by exchange
- MoMA Accession Number 1812.2001
Back / Verso
- Mount Type No mount
- Marks and Inscriptions Inscribed in pencil on sheet verso, top: Linien der modernen Industrie: Kühlturmanlage. Stamped in red ink on sheet verso, center: Original-Aufnahme/von/R. Petschow/Berlin-Steglitz/Stadtpark 3/Alle Rechte vorbehalten. Inscribed in red pencil on sheet verso, bottom-right corner: x.
The artist, possibly Berlin; possibly by inheritance to the artist's estate . Helmut Gernsheim ; to Galerie Berinson, Berlin, 1994 ; purchased by Thomas Walther, New York; purchased by The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2001.
 Egidio Marzona, conversation with Simon Bieling, Berlin, August 2005; and Hendrik Berinson, e-mail to Maria Morris Hambourg, April 15, 2013. Berinson has said that there is no Petschow estate and no family as far as he knows.
 MacGill/Walther 2001(3), p. 17; and Berinson, conversation with Bieling, Galerie Berinson, Berlin, February 18, 2005.
 MacGill/Walther 2001(3), p. 17
- Format Metric
- Weight Single weight
- Thickness (mm) 0.19
- UV Fluorescence Recto negative Verso negative
- Fiber Analysis Softwood bleached sulfite 42% Hardwood bleached sulfite 2% Rag 52% Bast 5% Softwood bleached sulfite
- Material Techniques Developing-out paper
This work was determined to be a gelatin silver print via X-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrometry.
The following elements have been positively identified in the work, through XRF readings taken from its recto and verso (or from the mount, where the verso was not accessible):
- Recto: P, S, Ca, Zn, Sr, Ag, Ba
- Verso: Al, Si, S, K, Ca, Fe, Zn, Sr, Ba
The graphs below show XRF spectra for three areas on the print: two of the recto—from areas of maximum and minimum image density (Dmax and Dmin)—and one of the verso or mount. The background spectrum represents the contribution of the XRF instrument itself. The first graph shows elements identified through the presence of their characteristic peaks in the lower energy range (0 to 8 keV). The second graph shows elements identified through the presence of their characteristic peaks in the higher energy range (8 to 40 keV).
Moholy-Nagy, László. Von Material zu Architektur, Bauhausbücher 14, pl. 198 (as Zschornewitz-Golpa Kühltürme des Großkraftwerks). Munich: A. Langen Verlag, 1929.
Städtische Ausstellungshallen, Stuttgart. Internationale Ausstellung des Deutschen Werkbunds Film und Foto (Fifo) (no. 819, as Günther Petschow, Linien der modernen Industrie [Die gähnended Reihen einer modernen Kühlturmanlage]). Organized by Deutscher Werkbund. May 18–July 7, 1929. (traveling exhibition)