This work is included in the Provenance Research Project, which investigates the ownership history of works in MoMA's collection.
Acquired from the artist by the Nationalgalerie, Berlin, 1923 ; removed as “degenerate art” by the Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1937 ; on consignment to Karl Buchholz, Berlin, 1939; to Buchholz Gallery (Curt Valentin), New York; sold to John S. Newberry, Grosse Pointe, by 1940 ; acquired by The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1961 (John S. Newberry Collection).
 Paul-Klee-Stiftung, Kunstmuseum Bern, eds. Paul Klee: catalogue raisonné. Bern: Benteli and New York: Thames and Hudson, vol. 3 (1999), no. 2731. One of four works the Nationalgalerie acquired from the artist for 40 million M during the inflation of 1923 (see Annegret Janda and Jörn Grabowski, eds., Kunst in Deutschland 1905-1937: Die verlorene Sammlung der Nationalgalerie im ehemaligen Kronprinzenpalais, exh. cat. Berlin: Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, 1992, no. 227). Included in the exhibition Paul Klee, Nationalgalerie, Kronprinzenpalais, Berlin, February 1923. On view at the Kronprinzenpalais of the Nationalgalerie, Berlin until 1933 (ibid.).
 EK no. 16308: Der Angler. Included in the exhibition Degenerate Art, Hofgarten-Arkaden, Munich, July 19-November 30, 1937 and other venues (Berlin, Leipzig, Düsseldorf, Salzburg). See Charles Werner Haxthausen, "A 'Degenerate' Abroad: Klee's Reception in America, 1937-1940," Josef Helfenstein and Elizabeth Hutton Turner, eds., Klee and America, exh. cat. New York: Neue Galerie, 2006, pp. 159-162.
 Lender to the memorial exhibition Paul Klee, October 9-November 2, 1940, Buchholz Gallery (Curt Valentin) and Willard Gallery, New York (no. 13).
Provenance research is a work in progress, and is frequently updated with new information. If you have any questions or information to provide about the listed works, please email email@example.com or write to:
Provenance Research Project
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019