This installation brings together a selection of sculptures from the Museum’s collection made in the 1960s, extending to the Sculpture Garden the current organizing principle of the Museum’s fourth-floor collection galleries. Included are David Smith’s Cubi X (1963), an abstract construction of stainless steel geometric forms that evokes the human figure, and Alexander Calder’s Sandy’s Butterfly (1964), a 13-foot-tall colorful steel sculpture with a mobile top that the artist gave to MoMA in 1966. These works join longtime Sculpture Garden inhabitants, such as Barnett Newman’s Broken Obelisk (1967). Favorites like Pablo Picasso’s She Goat (1950) and Aristide Maillol’s The River (1943) will remain on view alongside these works from the 1960s.
Organized by the Department of Painting and Sculpture.