Talk to Me: A Symposium
Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 6:00 p.m.
Theater 1 (The Roy and Niuta Titus Theater 1), T1
This evening and daylong program features presentations, conversations, interviews, and performances on the subjects of design and script writing, cognitive science, gaming, augmented reality, and communication, with a keynote address on October 18 by the hosts of WNYC's Radiolab, Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich.
On October 19, panel discussions will be moderated by Paola Antonell; Adam Bly, founder and CEO, Seed Media Group; Majora Carter, President, Majora Carter Group; and Jamer Hunt, Director, MFA in Transdisciplinary Design program, Parsons The New School for Design.
Other participants include:
- Jake Barton, founder and principal, Local Projects
- Ayah Bdeir, artist, engineer, and designer
- Ayse Birsel, designer, co-principal, Birsel+Seck
- Sandra Bloodworth, director of MTA Arts for Transit and Urban Design
- Kenyatta Cheese, expert in social network narratives
- Revital Cohen, designer
- Bjarke Ingels, architect, founding partner, Bjarke Ingels Group
- Dwight Garner, book critic, The New York Times
- Tahir Hemphill, designer
- Natalie Jeremijenko, artist and associate professor of visual arts, New York University
- Matt Jones and Jack Schulze, principals, BERG
- Alex Kalman, filmmaker
- Laura Kurgan, associate professor of architecture at the Graduate School of Architecture, Preservation, and Planning, Columbia University
- Kati London, designer and technologist, director of product, Zynga New York
- Marcus Samuelsson, chef, activist, and entrepreneur
- Kevin Slavin, philosopher of design
- Sputniko!, designer and performer
This program was conceived by Paola Antonelli, Senior Curator, and Kate Carmody, Curatorial Assistant, Department of Architecture and Design, The Museum of Modern Art—who are also the curators of the exhibition.
October 18, 6:00 p.m.
An evening with Radiolab
October 19, 10:00 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Introduction by Paola Antonelli
Design Snippets: Matt Jones and Jack Schulze
Design and Scriptwriting
Panelists: Ayse Birsel, Kenyatta Cheese, and Kevin Slavin
Moderator: Jamer Hunt
Design Snippets: Jake Barton and Tahir Hemphill
Revital Cohen, Natalie Jeremijenko, and Matt Jones
Moderator: Adam Bly
Design Snippets: Ayah Bdeir and Kati London
The Talkative City
Dwight Garner and Sandra Bloodworth
Moderator: Majora Carter
Design Snippets: Laura Kurgan and Alex Kalman
Bjarke Ingels, Marcus Samuelsson, and Sputniko!
Moderator: Paola Antonelli
Performance by Sputniko!
Reception in MoMA Sculpture Garden
In conjunction with the exhibition Talk to Me: Design and the Communication between People and Objects
Tickets are available online, at the Information Desk in the main lobby, and at the Film Desk after 4:00 p.m.
Ticketing for each day of this program is separate. Please purchase a ticket for EACH day of the program you would like to attend.