Tubino floor lamp, 1974 (1951)
Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni
Aluminum, enameled steel, 13 3/8 x 27 1/2 x 9 1/2"
Manufactured and lent by Flos
In 1949, GE's 6-watt fluorescent tube was first imported in Italy, challenging the Castiglionis to think about a formal continuity between the lamp and its conducting wire. They lined up the bulb, the switch, the reactor, and the starter on their way to the plug, and fitted the lamp with an aluminum shield to protect from glare and reflect the light.