This work is included in the Provenance Research Project
, which investigates the ownership history of works in MoMA's collection.
Acquired from the artist by Willem Wolff Beffie (1880-1950), Amsterdam/Brussels/Brooklyn, 1913 ; sold to Nierendorf Gallery, New York, 1940 ; acquired by the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, 1946 ; acquired by The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1988 (Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Morton D. May and Mr. and Mrs. Arnold H. Maremont [both by exchange]).
 Hoberg, Annegret, Franz Marc, and Isabelle Jansen, eds. Franz Marc: The Complete Works. vol. 1. London: Philip Wilson Publishers, 2004, no. 206. See letter Franz Marc to Gabriele Münter, Sindelsdorf, July 23, 1913. On loan from Beffie to the exhibitions Twentieth Century German Art, New Burlington Galleries, London, July 1938 (no. 166, Die Weltenkuh) and Franz Marc, Buchholz Gallery, New York, November 11 - December 7, 1940 (no. 14, Red Cow).
 Ibid. Reproduced in the exhibition catalogue Forbidden Art in The Third Reich: Paintings by German Artists Whose Work was Banned from Museums and Forbidden to Exhibit, Nierendorf Gallery, New York, October 1945, n.p.
If you have any questions or information to provide about the listed works, please e-mail email@example.com or write to:
Provenance Research Project
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019